Photo courtesy of Dan Vilter
Monte Toyon (literally "mountain with
the Toyon bush") Camp, located at 220 Cloister Ln, Aptos, CA, is a beautiful site nestled at the foot of the Santa
Cruz mountains. It gives the idyllic impression of being remote and far away from it all, yet is less than 15 minutes
from the beach, the Pacific Coast Highway, or the civilizing influence of
Aptos and its modern conveniences including grocery
stores, coffee shops, and espresso bars.
Photo courtesy of Dan Vilter
Monte Toyon's web pages contain
information showing pictures and
descriptions of the camp accommodations and
facilities in Cary Lodge and the
Miller & Morris dormitories.
You can also see some of the activity areas:
Hollidge Hall, or the
Dining Hall. Check out the
camp site layout map
including roadways, buildings, parking, and the
hiking trails map in the surrounding area.
Aptos is located about 8 miles south of Santa Cruz along California Hwy 1, about one hour south of San Jose,
or two hours south of San Francisco. If you're flying in from out of town,
San Jose Airport is closer and preferable to
San Francisco Airport.
To figure your own personal route use this full-size
interactive map. However, here are a few suggested routes below as well.
coming from the north or east, the main idea is to first get to the San Jose area. To do that:
- From East Bay or From Sacramento
- get to I-880 south (from I-80, I-580, or I-680 south)
- From San Rafael (Marin) and points north
- US-101 south, cross the Richmond Bridge to I-580 south, then I-880
- From below San Rafael
- US-101 south, cross Golden Gate Bridge, then as from San Francisco (west side)...
- From San Francisco (west side)
- 19th Ave south to CA Hwy 1 south, to I-280 south, to CA Hwy 85 south to I-880/CA
Hwy 17 south
- From San Francisco (east side) or from San Francisco Airport (SFO) - US-101 south to CA Hwy 85 south to CA Hwy 17
- From the Peninsula / South Bay -
US-101 or I-280 south to CA Hwy 85 south, to CA Hwy 17 south
- From San Jose Airport (SJC) -
I-880 south to CA Hwy 17 south
Once in San Jose (or heading south on I-880, which eventually becomes CA Hwy 17):
- Take Hwy 17 South towards Santa Cruz.
- Head south on the Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) towards Watsonville/Monterey. Note:
This is where
traffic starts to back up.
- Take the State Park Drive (exit 435 - previously the Seacliff-Aptos exit) and turn left from the off ramp.
- Turn right at the traffic light onto Soquel Drive (note shopping center here - good place to pickup last-minute
- Continue under the railroad trestle.
- Bear left at the stop sign and continue into Aptos Village to the stop sign at Post Office Drive.
- Turn left onto Post Office Drive (formally Trout Gulch Road), crossing over the railroad tracks.
- Turn left onto Cathedral Drive at the Monte Toyon Camp sign.
- Monte Toyon is 1.5 miles along Cathedral Drive. Look for the 2nd Monte Toyon Camp sign.
If you're coming from south of Santa Cruz, you pretty much want to find CA Hwy 1 heading north.
To get there:
Once in Watsonville (or heading north on CA Hwy 1 - the Pacific Coast Hwy - towards Santa Cruz), take the State
Park Drive (exit 435 - previously the Seacliff-Aptos exit), turn right from the off ramp, and follow directions
from step 4 above.
- From Monterey - CA Hwy 1 north
- From the Central Coast - US-101 north to Country Road G12 west, follow signs to CA Hwy 1 north
- From Los Angeles - I-5 north to CA Hwy 152 west (Pacheco Pass towards Gilroy), to US-101 south,
to CA Hwy 129 west, to CA Hwy 1 north
Copyright © 1998-2016 for the
Bay Area Country Dance Society. All rights reserved
Send comments and questions about this webpage to the