More Information About:
- Calling — Gender neutral (Larks and Robins) all weekend
- COVID Safety Policy
- The Facility
- Public Transit
- The Fine Print
COVID Safety Policy
It is too soon to state what sort of policies we may have around COVID, but we will update you here when registration opens.
The Pomeroy Recreation and Rehabilitation Center has hosted Balance the Bay since 2009. Located just 2000 feet from the ocean, overlooking Lake Merced, it is kept cool in summer by sea breezes and coastal fogs. Because the only neighbor is the San Francisco Zoo, there is no problem with late-night music, and there is plenty of parking.
The dance hall at the Pomeroy Center has a rubber-pad sprung floor. There's excellent ventilation and room for six long lines.
The main hall has lots of space for eating, jam sessions, and hanging out. There are balconies overlooking the lake, a grassy courtyard, and multiple rest rooms including a gender free option.
Balance the Bay is held at
The Pomeroy Recreation and Rehabilitation Center. While the address is listed as 207 Skyline
Boulevard, the entrance is on Herbst Road. If you are using GPS,
Mapquest, or other similar sources, use "100 Herbst Road" as your destination.
The Pomeroy Center occupies a triangular block. The east side of the block is Skyline Boulevard. Traffic flows one way around the triangle. You enter from Skyline Blvd at the North end of the triangle, exit at the south.
There are plenty of options in the area, or you may request housing with local dancers on your registration form, and we will contact you. Consider carpooling as housing is generally available about 30-60 minutes from the hall. To request housing, please let us know on your registration form and we'll do our best to accommodate everyone.
Note: While motels in SF proper can be pricey, there are a number of lower-priced options available just South of the city within 30 minutes of the dance hall (When you do an online search, consider Daly City, South San Francisco, San Bruno and Millbrae, or even Burlingame.)
See this spreadsheet (opens new window) for a list of some nearby accommodations.
How to Contact Other Dancers
Our Facebook group is a good way to connect with dancers.
The Pomeroy Center is served directly by the MUNI #18 (46th Avenue) bus. Get off at the "Skyline Blvd and Zoo Road" stop. The southbound stop is on Armory Road, just across the street from the entrance to the Pomeroy Center. The northbound stop is across Skyline Boulevard at the intersection with Herbst Road.
You can use 511.org to plan a trip online.
There's plenty of parking on Herbst and Armory Roads. It's all at 90 degrees to the curb. To avoid an expensive ticket, do not park in front of the bus stop shelter across from the Pomeroy Center entrance, or in a handicapped parking spot without proper plates. It's OK to park overnight, but remember that this is a big city neighborhood. Don't leave valuables in your car or anything valuable looking on the seat.
The Fine Print
Balance the Bay:
- Is fragrance free. Please do not use scented products (cosmetics, cleaners, and personal hygiene items). Chemicals used in perfumes and fragrances cause serious allergic reactions for some people, so please come scent free.
- Is alcohol and tobacco free.
- Does not gender balance.
- The Bay Area Country Dance Society does not condone or permit any behavior at its events which intentionally harms, intimidates, or harasses any participant, either physically, sexually, or emotionally.
- Anyone who feels harassed, intimidated, or threatened is encouraged to speak to one of the event organizers.
- We reserve the right to refuse registration or admission to anyone whose behavior has been judged by the BACDS Board or by the event manager to be disruptive, harassing, or dangerous.
Cancellation / Refund Policy
- Through July 17: We will refund your registration amount minus a $20 cancellation fee ($10 for youth).
- After July 17: No refund unless we can fill your slot.