Photo courtesy of Dan Vilter
(which means "mountain with the Toyon bush") is a beautiful site, nestled at the
foot of the Santa Cruz mountains. It gives the idyllic impression of being
remote and far away from it all, yet is less than 15 minutes from the beach, the
Coast Highway, or the civilizing influence of
Aptos with the modern conveniences of
grocery stores and
bars. It's located at: 220 Cloister Lane, Aptos, CA 95003-2910.
Monte Toyon facility's own web
pages contain information showing pictures and descriptions of the
accommodations at Cary
Lodge and the
Miller & Morris dormitories. You can also see some of the activity
areas: Helgesson Hall,
Hollidge Hall, or
the Dining Hall.
The camp map
shows the site layout including roadways, buildings, parking, hiking trails and
a lot more.
Aptos is located about 8 miles south of Santa Cruz along
California Hwy 1. (about an hour south of San Jose, or two hours south of San
Francisco). If you're flying in from out of town,
San Jose Airport is closer and
preferable to San Francisco
Airport, although both will work. To get a better idea of
travel time and
transportation concerns, see our
Photo courtesy of Dan Vilter
To figure your own personal route use this full-size
interactive map. However, here are a few suggested routes below as
you're coming from the north or east, the main idea is to first get to
the San Jose area. To do that:
- From East Bay or From Sacramento - get to I-880 south
(from I-80, I-580, or I-680 south)
- From San Rafael (Marin) and points north -
US-101 south, cross the Richmond Bridge to I-580 south, then I-880 south
- From below San Rafael - US-101 south, cross Golden Gate
Bridge, then as from San Francisco (west side)...
- From San Francisco (west side) - 19th Ave south to CA Hwy
1 south, to I-280 south, to CA Hwy 85 south to I-880/CA Hwy 17 south
- From San Francisco (east side) or from San Francisco Airport (SFO)
- US-101 south to CA Hwy 85 south to CA Hwy 17 south
- From the Peninsula / South Bay - US-101 or I-280 south to
CA Hwy 85 south, to CA Hwy 17 south
- From San Jose Airport (SJC) - I-880 south to CA Hwy 17
Once in San Jose (or heading south on I-880,
which eventually becomes CA Hwy 17):
- Take Hwy 17 South towards Santa Cruz.
- Head south on the Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) towards
Watsonville/Monterey. Note: This is where
traffic starts to back up.
- Take the State Park Drive (exit 435 - previously the Seacliff-Aptos
exit) and turn left from the off ramp.
- Turn right at the traffic light onto Soquel Drive (note shopping
- Continue under the railroad trestle.
- Bear left at the stop sign and continue into Aptos Village to the stop
sign at Post Office Drive.
- Turn left onto Post Office Drive (formally Trout Gulch Road), crossing
over the railroad tracks.
- Turn left onto Cathedral Drive at the Monte Toyon Camp sign.
- Monte Toyon is 1.5 miles along Cathedral Drive. Look for the
2nd Monte Toyon Camp sign.
If you're coming from south of Santa Cruz,
you pretty much want to find CA Hwy 1 heading north. To get there:
Once in Watsonville (or heading north on CA Hwy 1 - the
Pacific Coast Hwy - towards Santa Cruz), take the State Park Drive (exit
435 - previously the Seacliff-Aptos exit), turn right from
the off ramp, and follow directions from step 4 above.
- From Monterey - CA Hwy 1 north
- From the Central Coast - US-101 north to Country Road
G12 west, follow signs to CA Hwy 1 north
- From Los Angeles - I-5 north to CA Hwy 152 west, to
US-101 south, to CA Hwy 129 west, to CA Hwy 1 north
Copyright © 1998-2010 for the
Bay Area Country Dance Society. All rights reserved
Send comments and questions about this webpage to